Baby boomer Joseph Mercola, D.O., is an osteopathic physician, health activist, and entrepreneur practicing in Hoffman Estates.
Mercola, 54, has the top natural medicine Web site with 20 million page views a month, and his site is among the 10 most popular health sites. Here are Mercola's top 12 articles of 2009:
1. Deadlier than Cocaine, Heroin, and the Swine Flu? A largely unrecognized epidemic, prescription drug misuse causes most of the fatal overdoses each year. Topping the list are opioid painkillers.
2. How Much Vitamin D Do You Really Need to Take? The current recommended daily allowances of vitamin D are grossly insufficient for young and old, so he gives his opinions on what the recommended dosages should be.
3. Avoid This if You Want to Keep Your Thyroid Healthy. Addressing the problem of bromines in the environment and food supply, this article sheds light on a largely hidden group of toxins that are wreaking havoc on thyroids everywhere.
4. MSG: Is This Silent Killer Lurking in Your Kitchen Cabinets? MSG could be slowly and silently doing major damage to your health.
5. Super Spice Secrets: Can This Miracle Spice Stop Cancer, Alzheimer's, and Arthritis? As research into the spice turmeric has increased, it's emerging as one of nature's most powerful potential healers.
6. New Study of Splenda Reveals Shocking Information About Potential Harmful Effects. Splenda has wreaked untold havoc with people's health since its introduction more than a decade ago.
7. What the Research Really Says About Apple Cider Vinegar. Dramatic claims aside, this review examines what's really known about vinegar, based on the scientific studies to date.
8. This Antioxidant Can Smash Insulin Resistance and Autoimmune Disease. Alpha lipoic acid has many functions, but it's one of the most effective free radical scavengers, and the only one known to easily get into your brain.
9. Simple Way to Lower Your Blood Pressure -- Just Avoid THIS… Did you know a diet high in fructose, a form of sugar found in sweetened soft drinks and junk food, could be the cause of your elevated blood pressure?
10. A Kidney Stone's #1 Natural Enemy. In this article and accompanying video, Mercola explains what you need to know in order to treat and prevent kidney stones.
11. Approaching Epidemic: Brain Damage from Mobile Phone Radiation. Ever growing scientific research corroborates the suspicion that information-carrying radio waves transmitted by cell phones and other wireless devices can cause a number of significant health problems, including the hardest-to-treat type of brain cancers.
12. How to Prevent the Flu - as Easy as 1, 2, 3... Colds are a leading cause of doctor visits and missed days from work and school. This article offers strategies for dealing with colds and the flu.