The World Boxing Association has ordered an immediate rematch between Amir Khan and Lamont Peterson, according to Khan's promoters.
Khan lost his WBA and IBF titles to Peterson in December but has questioned a number of aspects of the fight. One claim is that an unknown man, who has now apparently been identified, was seen "interfering with" a WBA official. "The WBA... will order an immediate rematch," said Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer.
"We received a verbal confirmation today [Saturday] and we will get a written confirmation by next Tuesday. "That means that no fighter can take an interim fight, that the next fight for Peterson would be a rematch. "We hope that the IBF will follow because that's the least they can do. The ruling of the WBA to order an immediate rematch should put additional pressures on the IBF."
Earlier, WBA president Gilberto Mendoza told BBC Sport: "It generates a lot of controversy. There should be a rematch. "The [Washington DC] Commission did not behave properly in this fight." Olympic silver medallist Khan lost his light-welterweight titles on a split decision after being deducted two points for pushing but has appealed against the verdict. Judges George Hill and Valerie Dorsett scored the fight 113-112 in favour of Peterson, with Nelson Vasquez giving the bout to Khan 115-110.
Hill's card looked to have originally given the seventh round to Khan but appears to contain amendments that resulted in Peterson taking it 10-8. On Thursday, Khan accused the previously unidentified man of "interfering" with officials and the judges' scorecards by posting a number of images from the bout on his Twitter page.
The Bolton fighter claimed the man talked to WBA supervisor Michael Welsh and also celebrated with Peterson after his win. When contacted by BBC Sport, Welsh refused to answer any questions about the mystery man or what was said. However, Schaefer claims the man has now been identified as Mustafa Ameen, an IBF official who was given accreditation for the fight, although not directly involved in it.
"The IBF have confirmed to us his name, and they have confirmed to us that he's involved in an official capacity with the IBF," Schaefer told Sky Sports News. "He was not in Washington in an official IBF capacity, but the IBF asked the Washington commission to issue him a credential so that he could attend the fight." Meanwhile, Mendoza said Welsh was ignored when he raised concerns about the individual at ringside.
"Welsh was concerned about the gentleman being around him and couldn't get the co-ordination to do his job properly during the fight," said Mendoza. "He said he was totally ignored by the commission in Washington." Schaefer has demanded the result of the bout be changed to a no-contest. "What I think would be the right thing to do would be a no-contest and therefore Amir would retain both titles," he said. "I do believe there is enough controversy to warrant the no-contest decision."
On Friday, Khan's business manager, Asif Vali, said that they had written to the boxing authorities for explanations to several areas of concern. "We did the table plan with Golden Boy Promotions [Khan's promoter] and the WBA official was already in his seat and the IBF official was already in his seat, so who is this person?" he asked.
"What's he doing talking to the WBA? Why is he handling the slips? "These are legitimate questions and if they give us sufficient reasons for it then I'll accept it. I want to see what the reasons are. "We're not saying there is foul play involved in any way, shape or form. I just need the answers for the sequence of events that have taken place. Nothing else. "I'm not accusing any of the bodies. Lamont Peterson is the champion and good luck to him for 2012."